About the Film
Directed by Michael Moore and Produced By Michael Moore, Tia Lessin and Carl Deal
WHERE TO INVADE NEXT is an expansive, hilarious, and subversive comedy in which Michael Moore confronts the most pressing issues facing America today and finds solutions in the most unlikely places. It is an eye-opening call to arms to capture the American Dream and restore it in, of all places, America.
About the Campaign
In the film, Michael Moore travels to three continents, trying to bring back and emulate better paid maternity leave, education, gender equality, prison reform and more! This is not a single issue film and there is no single solution to all of these issues. Therefore, for the film’s social action campaign, we focused on driving people to see the film — because action starts with awareness —then driving change through specific initiatives that address the key issues in the film. We wanted to start a national and public conversation and educate and engage audiences to take action.
Picture Motion worked with the filmmakers and the distribution team to develop the film’s social action strategy, with the main goal of developing partnerships and driving people to see the film. Prior to the film’s release in February, we screened the film with partners, organizations and key groups that had considerable influence and reach into the film’s desired audiences in order to build buzz for the theatrical release.
- We developed partnerships with organizations aligned with the core issue areas in the film including labor, political mobilizing and voting, mass incarceration, criminal justice, drug reform and education. We also developed more extensive partnerships to support the following issues:
- Student Debt: We partnered with Student Debt Crisis and launched WithoutStudentDebt.com, which is a digital wall for people to share how Student Debt is holding them back from pursuing their goals.
- Equal Rights Amendment: We launched a digital quiz to raise awareness that women are not guaranteed equal rights under the U.S. Constitution.
- Individual Activism: We partnered with the Huffington Post, for a blog series from the Hammer & Chisel award recipients. The Hammer & Chisel Awards honor individuals who have, in their own unique and courageous way, working to undo injustice, expose the truth and make life better for the working class and working poor in our country.
- Influencer screenings
- Congressional Screening with elected officials
- Google and YouTube: Had 6 screenings at their largest offices in the U.S.
- Facebook: Screened the film at New York office
- Spotify: Screened the film at New York Office
- Innocence Project: Screening and panel discussion with Michael Moore, The Central Park 5 and Founder, Barry Scheck.
- New America: Screening and panel discussion
- Picture Motion oversaw the development and activation of 48 strategic partnerships.
- To build momentum around the films national release, Picture Motion coordinated influencer screenings across the country with groups like Google & Facebook.
- To build awareness and activate audiences around the release, Picture Motion coordinated two specific action- oriented stunts around women’s equality and student debt.
Visit the Film’s Website